Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Media Literacy Video
Watch here!

In this video Kathy Cassidy is showing her audience what her first grade class can do. Her class is focused on learning about media literacy. The students, at the age of six and seven are doing things I didn't understand until much later on in my elementary school education. The fact that a seven year old can pick up a book and distinguish between fiction and non-fiction shows that they are capable of learning much more than what is traditional taught. Later in the video, another young girl located her class's blog online by herself. Introducing these young students to technology at an early age is extremely important.

I think a lot of the time, especially in education, people are scared to think outside the box. They don't want to try new things, but sometimes change is good. By expanding her curriculum, Cassidy utilizes the technology she has in her classroom and her students are reaping the benefits. I can only imagine what these children will be capable of one day. Technology is constantly changing and this is only one instance of how useful of a tool it can be for learning. Even in first grade, students can benefit from technology.


Little Kids..Big Potential




It's is simply amazing that in first graders are BLOGGING! Up until two weeks ago, I had not even had a blog page. I think the fact that the students are getting the freedom to use computers motivates them to actively write in their blogs. They also enjoy that others get to see what they are writing about as well. From a teacher stand-point the students are not only learning how to type, but sound out words on their own. Blogging improves writing, even in first grade.

Although these videos impress me, I can't help but question if I'm ready for this tidal wave of students that will be media literate. I struggle to make a powerpoint presentations on my own, how will I be ready for them? At least I have the blogging somewhat mastered. I also, like any other college student, I understand Facebook and iTunes. I guess this is a start. In the back of the classroom in one of the videos I saw the sign reading Class of 2025 so I guess I have some time to learn. In the meantime, I think I'll go listen to a podcast and Facebook stalk!



Can your baby do this?(Mine can't either, but I'm not a parent, nor do I own an iPhone.)


Are you kidding me? This young toddler can barely say 'iPhone', but understands how to use one. The fact that a baby can use and operate and iPhone really says a lot about the design of the phone and the potential of young children. They really do absorb information like a dry sponge. The last cellphone(not an iPhone) and toddler combination I saw involved a full cup of water and resulted in some unhappy parents. (That was poor planning on mom and dad's part though.)

What in the world am I going to do if this child walks through my classroom door? This video is a wake up call. Children can learn at any age. It is up to teachers, parents, and guardians to feed them with as much knowledge they can. I'm pretty sure the only thing reflecting any intelligence that I did at this age was me pulling all of the wipes out of the box on my own. Wow, that's not embarrassing at all.

3 comments:

  1. LOL! Trust me I got my wake up call when I got my iPhone in August (when my daughter was 1 1/2 year old) and the day I got in home and didn't really know how to use it myself, my daughter picked it up and began to take pictures with it and SOMEHOW figured out how to make it my background LOL! I knew right then that my 5 year old was going to already know way more about how to use the phone than me! (and i was right) Anyway I enjoyed reading your blogs! Keep up the good work!
    Amy Stork

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Spring your comment on the students being able to distinguish between fiction and non-fiction was very interesting to me. The information students are learning today is information we are just now learning as college students. The video on the one year old using the iphone was really amazing to me because soon children like him will be in my class room. Children are much more smarter at an early age now than they were back in the day. As a future teacher I will have to be technology literate because children learning at a very fast pace.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome isn't it? Kids are like little sponges, if only more parents would take the time to spend more time with their children, perhaps we could decrease the drop out rates of our children.

    ReplyDelete