Friday, February 5, 2010

Podcast as a New Study Tool

The Educational Podcast Network

In order to further my learning and discovery of the use of podcast in the classroom I visited the Educational Podcast Network website. The site brings together different ways the podcast are used in the classroom through different educators and their insights. There are even subject-specific podcast ranging from the three R's to the Arts, including dance(which is undoubtedly my favorite). Staying focused on how podcast can be used in the English classroom, I listened to a few podcast in some areas of my interest. One was a lecture on sonnets. The narrator talked about the form of sonnets and how they originated.

I can see using podcast in this form very beneficial to students who learn a slower pace than the rest of the class. This could be beneficial to students who are English Language Learners, students who have special needs, or even a student who just struggles in a particular subject area(mine is math--I still have nightmares about Algebra). Being a student who has sit through countless lectures, I realize sometimes I can sit through an entire class and not retain much information. With access to a podcast, being able to hear information again could help students refresh themselves on a topic while at home studying. I also could see how this could turn into an excuse to be absent from class(mainly at the collegiate level), but I think with careful moderation, these "lecture-on-the-go" could benefit a lot of students. Sometimes taking notes in a lecture-setting doesn't always help you remember all the key facts or information needed for a test or to write a paper on. Any thoughts on using podcast lectures as study tools?

1 comment:

  1. Good job Spring. I wish I had access to podcast while I was in college. I used to use a tape recorder to tape my Biology class. I still took notes, but I have never been a fast note taker. I would go back to my dorm room and listen to my tape to fill in the blanks in my class notes. It would have been great to just been able to download the class lecture (with the pause/rewind feature). Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete