Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Comments for Teachers Week 10-12



Hopefully, I will have better luck this time with Comments for Teachers.

The next few weeks I will be following:
"Do I Dare Disturb the Universe?" by Scott Elias

His first post was posted March 14. It was about what every teacher should know after leaving "teacher school" during their first year in the classroom. He suggested:
1. Stay interested. Having interest in your students, topics, and your job.
2. Be a learner.
The best way for teachers to learn is not necessarily through one-size-fits-all professional development sessions. Read a lot. Create an account on Google Reader or Netvibes and subscribe not only to education blogs, but blogs about what you’re passionate about (remember the first tip I gave you?). And also, keep it in balance and subscribe to blogs that you don’t necessarily agree with. Preaching to choir is always fun, but it can be a dangerous habit. Network with colleagues who have been doing it longer and who are doing it differently. Find an administrator you trust and see how he or she is willing to help support your professional growth.


3.Avoid like the plague negative people and their efforts to recruit you.
4. Have fun.
5. Just because you can do something with technology doesn’t mean you should do it with technology.

"Do you need a wiki intervention? You know who you are."

My comment on this post:

I’m in EDM 310 at the University of South Alabama and I was assigned to follow your blog for a few weeks. The class incorporates a lot of technology and its uses in the classroom as well as encouraging teachers to be learners.

I really enjoyed reading this post. I think keeping a good attitude throughout the first year as a teacher and staying interested is really great advice.

I agree with the part about slowing down with incorporating technology. Sometimes it seems like some teachers need an intervention.

No comments:

Post a Comment